Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to Solve Word Problems

We have been really digging deep this year to learn about the process of a problem and learn about every step we need to use to solve a problem. What are the parts? What do the different parts do in the problem to help solve them? These were questions that I asked the boys every day. For example, we have been talking about a divisor, dividend, and quotient in a division problem. We talked about what they mean to a division problem and wrote similes for the divisor and dividend. I will share the similes with you later.


The boys have really been able to solve and learn about word problems so much faster this year. I feel it is because we have dug so deep into what is involved in solving problems. I used to believe the only way to learn math was to do skill and drill. I now believe this is not true. Kids start taking ownership of their learning when they truly know what is going on and understand.


It was amazing what the boys where saying. I did not even tell them what the problem was about. Their assignment was to read it with their group and decided the operation. Then they were asked to write why they picked the operation that they picked.


This video shows what I am talking about.


Click Here


No comments:

Post a Comment